1. Olli Jokinen, Flames -- Two goals and the shootout winner. That trade looks good.
2. Nicklas Lidstrom, Red Wings -- A goal and three points for the great defenceman.
3. Jamie Lundmark, Flames -- Two goals and an assist for the player who spent most of the season in the minors.
PENALTY KILL: D
The performance by Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff, especially in the first period while his team was shorthanded for nearly six minutes, was top notch -- as good as you'll see.
WHY FLAMES WON
Somehow, they weathered the storm through nearly six minutes of shorthanded time in the first period. Somehow, they came back after being down 4-1. Somehow, they regrouped when they lost the lead in the final minute.
SAVE OF THE GAME
Late in overtime, Miikka Kiprusoff flashed his glove to make a highlight reel stop against Detroit's Jonathan Ericsson and send the game to a shootout.
CALGARY -- D Mark Giordano (shoulder), RW Todd Bertuzzi (knee), LW Rene Bourque (ankle), C Wayne Primeau (ankle), D Rhett Warrener (shoulder).
DETROIT -- D Andreas Lilja (concussion), RW Marian Hossa (neck), D Chris Chelios.
TOMORROW: Calgary Flames at Toronto Maple Leafs, 5 p.m., CBC, FAN 960.
The record number 28 shots allowed by the Flames in the first period broke the old mark of 24 set Jan. 5, 1994, against the New York Rangers. Calgary beat the Rangers 4-1 that night ... G Miikka Kiprusoff stood tall to reach the 40-win mark for the third time in the past four seasons.
FLAMES 6 RED WINGS 5 (SO)
1. Cal, Jokinen 25 (Lundmark, Phaneuf) 5:33 (pp)
2. Det, Zetterberg 27 (Datsyuk, Lidstrom) 10:01 (pp)
3. Det, Samuelsson 17 (Kopecky, Kronwall) 16:44 (pp)
Penalties -- Zetterberg Det (hooking) 4:26, Moss Cal (slashing) 8:41, Phaneuf Cal (boarding major) 10:52, Leopold Cal (delay of game) 11:59, Sarich Cal (cross-checking) 13:18, Aucoin Cal (roughing), Vandermeer Cal (double roughing, misconduct), Franzen Det (double roughing) 14:10.
4. Det, Lidstrom 13 (Rafalski, Datsyuk) 8:36 (pp)
5. Det, Filppula 10 (Lidstrom) 16:02
6. Cal, Langkow 19 (Aucoin, Cammalleri) 16:37
Penalties -- Cammalleri Cal, Cleary Det (high-sticking) 7:17, Phaneuf Cal (tripping) 7:34, Lundmark Cal (interference) 15:02, Holmstrom Det (cross-checking) 15:31, Stuart Det (cross-checking) 18:22.
7. Cal, Lundmark 3 (Vandermeer, Sarich) 16:38
8. Cal, Jokinen 26 (Glencross, Phaneuf) 17:29
9. Cal, Lundmark 4 (Conroy) 18:40
10. Det, Cleary 13 (Holmstrom, Datsyuk) 19:18
Penalty -- Kronwall Det (interference) 3:23.
Penalties -- None.
CALGARY WINS 2-1
Calgary (2) -- Cammalleri, goal; Iginla, miss; Jokinen, goal.
Detroit (1) -- Datsyuk, goal; Zetterberg, miss; Hudler, miss.
SHOTS ON GOAL
Calgary 4 9 17 3--33
Detroit 28 11 2 4--45
Goal -- Cal: Kiprusoff (W,40-17-5); Det: Conklin (L,24-8-2).
Powerplays -- Cal: 1-4; Det: 3-8.
Referees -- Mike Leggo, Brad Watson. Linesmen -- Derek Nansen, Thor Nelson.
ATT -- 20,066 (20,066).