Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas is taking a year off from hockey to spend time with his family. (ADAM HUNGER/Reuters file photo)
The lockout may be over, but don't expect Tim Thomas to return to the NHL anytime soon.
The Boston Bruins goaltender has not changed his plans to stay away from the rink, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.
"As of now, subject to usual 'could change mind later' qualifiers, Tim Thomas is not interested in ending his self-imposed hockey exile," McKenzie said via Twitter on Sunday.
McKenzie also said Thomas has no intention of fulfilling the final year of his four-year, $20 million contract with the Bruins or any other team. That's too bad for Boston, who will be on the hook for his $5 million cap hit this season. Thomas, 38, is subject to the 35-and-over rule for contracts.
Thomas announced in June that he was taking the year off hockey to spend more time with his family. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli previously indicated he would suspend Thomas without pay if the goaltender doesn't play.