Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara will be meeting with Montreal police to give his version of the hit March 8 that ended Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty's season.
After driving Pacioretty head-first into a stanchion along the boards, Chara was ejected from the game but received no suspension from the NHL.
Chara and the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup, which delayed the investigation, police said.
The Chara interview will be held "in the coming weeks," Sgt. Ian Lafrenière told Le Journal de Montreal.
Investigators are in communication with a Bruins lawyer to set up a meeting in the U.S.
Pacioretty and some Canadiens players have provided statements to investigators. Chara will be the final witness.
Chara has said he did not intend to injure the 22-year-old winger.
Pacioretty signed a two-year, $3.25 million contract with the Canadiens last week and said he was recovered from the concussion and fracture of a cervical vertebra that stemmed from Chara's hit.
Police will present a report to a Crown prosecutor, who will decide whether charges will be laid.