Bruins GM issues statement on Savard

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 9:42 AM ET

Boston - Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli issued a statement Tuesday, saying that reports that forward Marc Savard might not play this season are "completely inaccurate."

On Tuesday, ESPNBoston.com cited an unnamed team source in reporting Savard could miss the entire 2010-11 season because of post-concussion syndrome. Savard did not skate with the team Friday during the first day of training camp due to the symptoms. The timetable for his return to the ice is uncertain.

Chiarelli said Friday that Savard was being treated and that he'd provide updates when he had the information. In his statement Tuesday, the GM reaffirmed those ideas while refuting the report that Savard would be out for the year.

"As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome," the statement said. "He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.

"Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc's status, I will issue an update."

Savard, 33, suffered a Grade 2 concussion in early March after taking a blow to the head from Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke following the release of a shot.

Savard did not play in the regular season after March 7 but did return to play in all seven games of the Bruins series defeat to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

The Ottawa native apparently told the team about his difficulties over the last few weeks.

He finished the regular season with 10 goals and 33 points in 41 games and added a goal and two assists in the post-season.


Videos

Photos