Habs' Parros nearly symptom-free following scary incident

George Parros of the Montreal Canadiens is tended to by a Canadiens staff after falling head first...

George Parros of the Montreal Canadiens is tended to by a Canadiens staff after falling head first on the ice during a fight in the NHL game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre on October 1, 2013 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (AFP)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 4:26 PM ET

Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros is “almost symptom free” following a scary incident last week that left the 33-year-old concussed on the ice.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin says Parros could return to action sooner than expected.

"A concussion is difficult to gauge,” Bergevin told the Montreal Gazette. “It depends on the players. You never know with concussions. We are really happy with the situation of George now, with everything that happened. "

During the season opener against the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs, Parros became entangled in a scrap with Colton Orr. When Orr lost his balance and fell to the ice, the Leafs enforcer inadvertently pulled Parros down face-first, leading to his chin bouncing off the ice.

Parros eventually left the ice on a stretcher and has not returned since.

"There are almost no symptoms, such as headaches,” Bergevin said . “Every day is different and requires an assessment because the next day can be worse. I am confident that George will be back sooner rather than later.”


Videos

Photos