SUN Hockey Pool

NHL notes: Roberto Luongo may not report to Canucks camp

After the Canucks were unable to trade goaltender Roberto Luongo this season, his next move might...

After the Canucks were unable to trade goaltender Roberto Luongo this season, his next move might be to not report to training camp. (Ian Kucerak/QMI Agency/Files)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 11:18 PM ET

There is a distinct possibility Roberto Luongo will force the Vancouver Canucks into trading him, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.

After unsuccessfully trying to deal the 34-year-old goaltender last off-season, Dreger said Luongo’s next move might be to not report to training camp later this year.

“You can’t have Luongo and (Cory) Schneider back together. I don’t think Roberto will report. Honestly, I don't,” Dreger said on TSN 1050 Thursday. “I think (Luongo’s) done in Vancouver and whatever situation is put in front of him, he’s going to accept.”

The news came after Dreger’s TSN colleague, Bob McKenzie, reported earlier in the day that the New York Islanders would have interest in acquiring Luongo “under the right circumstances.” Before making that decision, however, the Isles will gauge the cost of retaining veteran netminder Evgeni Nabokov.

The Canucks have been trying to rid themselves of Luongo and his 12-year, $64-million contract – a deal kicked in starting with the 2010-11 season – since Schneider took over the starting job in net during last year’s NHL playoffs.

RYD’S OVER IN MONTREAL

Michael Ryder’s time with the Montreal Canadiens appears to be over.

The winger’s agent told QMI Agency that general manager Marc Bergevin informed the unrestricted-free-agent-to-be that he’s not in the team’s future plans.

Ryder was traded by the Dallas Stars to Montreal on Feb. 26 in exchange for forward Erik Cole.

In 27 games with the Habs this season, Ryder netted 10 goals and 11 assists.

REGEHR STICKING AROUND

Just because the Los Angeles Kings are in the middle of a Stanley Cup run doesn’t mean they can’t conduct any player business.

The Kings locked up defenceman Robyn Regehr to a two-year contract reportedly worth $6 million.

L.A. acquired Regehr from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for two second-round draft picks earlier this season.

Regehr has three assists in 12 regular season games and 13 playoff games this year.


Videos

Photos