The NHL all-star game is the latest victim of the lockout.
The league confirmed Friday that the annual showcase game scheduled for January in Columbus has been stricken off the calendar because of the work stoppage, along with two more weeks of the schedule. Games through Dec. 14 were trimmed.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league had planned to cancel the games last week, but wanted to wait to see how talks to get a collective bargaining agreement with the NHL Players' Association went this week before a decision was made.
"The reality of losing more regular-season games as well as the all-star weekend is extremely disappointing," said Daly in a statement. "We feel badly for NHL fans and particularly those in Columbus."
The league has now lost a total of 422 games, or 34.3% of the regular season. Commissioner Gary Bettman estimated the league is losing $18-to-$20 million per-day in revenues while the players are losing approximately $9 million.
If that's the case, the league has lost more than $1.2 billion in business while the players losses are at $630 million as the lockout reaches Day 70.
"Two more weeks of cancelled games far exceeds the current economic gap (of $182 million)," said NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr in a statement. "It makes the NHL's announcement of further game cancellations, including the all-star weekend, all the more unnecessary, and disappointing for all hockey fans. The players remain ready to negotiate but we require a willing negotiating partner."