October 17, 2012
NHL goes public with its deal
By BRUCE GARRIOCH, QMI Agency
Why did the NHL publicly release its offer of a new collective bargaining agreement Wednesday?
Simple: The league was determined to let the players to see it.
While league officials insisted in a news release they wanted to make sure everybody had their facts straight about what was being offered to the union, the reality was the NHL wanted the players to have a first-hand look.
"I must have missed it, but I didn't catch the proposal in July on the website," San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture tweeted.
Although the information likely also had been relayed to the players by the NHLPA, the league wanted to put its own spin on the offer and make sure the players knew there was not a lot of time left to play a full season.
"This proposal is our best attempt to save an 82-game 2012-13 season, and is, in fact, the best we can responsibly do," the league said in a brief included with the offer.
Not only is the league insisting it won't be able to play a full season if a deal isn't reached by Oct. 25, it's also suggesting the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 in Michigan and the all-star game later in the month in Columbus will be in doubt.
"Delay (beyond Oct. 25) will necessarily leave us with an abbreviated season and will require the cancellation of signature NHL events," the league said.