SUN Hockey Pool

NHL notes: Flyers' Pronger not close to comeback

Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger continues to suffer from post-concussion syndrome. (MARK...

Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger continues to suffer from post-concussion syndrome. (MARK BLINCH/Reuters file photo)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 12:18 AM ET

Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger, still struggling with the effects of post-concussion syndrome, has shown improvement recently but his career remains in jeopardy.

"He's doing better, but not to the point where he can think about playing," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Holmgren said Pronger saw a doctor in Pittsburgh recently and there was improvement. But "it's too soon (for Pronger) to consider" skating again.

Pronger missed most of last season after being concussed and there is fear the 38-year-old might never play again. Because he is injured, he will be paid his $7.2 million salary during the lockout along with banged-up teammates Andrej Meszaros, Matt Walker and Andreas Lilja.

TIMONEN MIGHT DE DONE

If the NHL lockout drags on as many are expecting, Kimmo Timonen's playing days could be over.

The Philadelphia Flyers defenceman is 37 years old and nearing the end of his career anyway and is going into the final year of a heavily front-loaded contract that will pay him just $3 million. A long lockout could suck the life out of him, he says, and cause him to pack it in.

"I feel like I am in great shape, but to be honest if this thing drags on another two or three months who knows, I might lose my motivation and we will see what happens after," Timonen told the Philadelphia Inquirer. Hopefully they can get together and get the deal done."

That said, Timonen isn't breaking the party line yet,

"It's not just for us but for the future," he said. "Seven years ago we missed a year and we pretty much lost that time. "I feel we are more educated this time and know what is going on."

NHLERS ON TOUR

Locked-out NHLers will play in a "caravan" league starting next week, according to RDS.

The tour around Quebec, which will feature mostly Francophone NHLers, will raise money for charities, not the players. It is expected the players will play once a week.

The first game will be played in Chateauguay and include the likes of Marc-Andre Fleury, Kris Letang, David Desharnais, David Perron and Maxime Talbot. Others are also expected on hand.

The "caravan" league was a creation of Joel Bouchard during the last NHL work stoppage. Talbot and Bruno Gervais decided to ressurect the idea this time around.

SEGUIN GOES SWISS

Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin has signed with the EHC Biel of the top Swiss league, the team announced Thursday.

Seguin agreed to a six-year, $34.5-million contract extension with the Bruins a few weeks ago.

Seguin had 29 goals and 38 assists in 81 games in 2011-12.

The 20-year-old is the latest NHLer to pack his bags for Switzerland during the lockout. Jason Spezza, Mark Streit, Logan Couture, Rick Nash and Joe Thornton previously signed with Swiss teams.

BRIEFLY

Forward Artem Anisimov has signed to play with his hometown team, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the KHL. The 24-year-old, who was traded this summer to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Rick Nash deal, had 16 goals and 20 assists in 79 games with the New York Rangers in 2011-12 ... Defenceman Douglas Murray of the San Jose Sharks and forward Patric Hornqvist of the Nashville Predators have agreed to play for Swedish second-division team Djurgardens during the NHL lockout. Both are still sorting out insurance issues, according to HockeyExpressen ... Winnipeg Jets forward Nik Antropov will return to Kazakhstan to play for Barys Astana of the KHL, according to R-Sport. Antropov previously spent time with three other KHL team but this is his first time playing for his homeland's top pro team.


Photos