Dominic Moore on the ball with fundraising effort

Dominic Moore played host to a night of table tennis that served as a fundraising effort for...

Dominic Moore played host to a night of table tennis that served as a fundraising effort for concussion and brain research. (AL CHAREST/QMI Agency file photo)

TERRY KOSHAN, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 12:20 AM ET

There's a ping-pong table in every NHL dressing room, Dominic Moore figured.

So why not try to make some money for concussion and brain research from the love of table tennis that NHL players share?

Moore, an unrestricted free agent who remains in the hunt for work for next season, played host on Thursday night in Toronto to Smashfest, a ping-pong tournament featuring current and retired NHL players.

"Guys are obsessed with playing, they are competitive and it is a lot of fun," Moore said. "It's a great avenue to show their personalities. We'll see if it works. I would love for it to get bigger and better every year.

"The last few years, head injuries have been a constant headline. The understanding in terms of the science of it is huge. As much as we are learning every day, it seems like every month they are coming out with new studies. There is still a long way to go."

Though it was not clear immediately how much money the charity event raised, proceeds will go to the Rotman Research Institute in Toronto and the Matthew Gfeller Center at the University of North Carolina.

"We have to be more aware," Tampa Bay Lightning star Steven Stamkos said. "When Mooresy asked me to be a part of this, it was a no-brainer, no pun intended. It's important in our game today and we want to learn as much as possible about it starting in youth hockey and moving up to the pro ranks.

"The NHL and NHLPA have done a great job -- limited equipment, added the blind-side rules, harsher suspensions. The onus is on the players."

TEEMU ON TAPE

Give Teemu Selanne and the Anaheim Ducks marks for creativity.

Rather than just release a statement saying the club had re-signed the 42-year-old winger, it instead released a video that made it clear Selanne was not retiring.

With the Finnish Flash sitting behind a desk in the video, a co-worker arrives and dumps a mountain of work in front of Selanne and says she needs it by 3 p.m.

Selanne responds by throwing a pen and saying: "Forget this, I'm going back to play hockey."

Selanne also announced last year via video he would keep playing.

This time around, he signed a one-year deal worth $4.5 million US after he scored 26 goals and added 40 assists in 82 games last season.

"Sometimes, age is just a number," Selanne said. "Age is a funny thing. A lot of times, I don't really feel 42.

"I just enjoy the game so much. I still feel I have something to give."

BERNIER WANTS OUT OF L.A.

Most players take their day with the Stanley Cup as one of celebration.

Jonathan Bernier on Thursday did something rather unique, telling a TV station he wants out of Los Angeles.

"I asked the Kings to trade me before the trade deadline, but they refused," Bernier told TVA Sports in Laval, Que. "Now that Jonathan Quick signed a long-term deal (10 years), I expect to be traded before training camp starts."

Bernier said he wants to be traded closer to home. The Chicago Blackhawks and Toronto Maple Leafs are in the market for a goalie, but Leafs general manager Brian Burke is not looking to add a young netminder.

Bernier, 23, was a first-round pick by the Kings in 2006. He has played in 48 games in the NHL and will be a restricted free agent next summer.

ON THE CASE

As it stands now, 13 players could be headed for salary arbitration, with cases heard in Toronto starting on July 20. More often than not, players and teams prefer settling before they have to go before an arbitrator. The arbitration schedule is as follows: Sam Gagner, Edmonton, and T.J. Oshie, St. Louis, July 20; Kris Versteeg, Florida, July 23; Kaspars Daugavins, Ottawa, July 24; Jamie McGinn, Colorado, and Kyle Quincey, Detroit, July 25; Nikolai Kulemin, Toronto, and Raphael Diaz, Montreal, July 26; Dale Weise, Vancouver, July 27; Anton Stralman, N.Y. Rangers, July 31; Mark Fistric, Dallas, Aug. 1; Sergei Kostitsyn, Nashville, and Mark Fayne, New Jersey, Aug. 2.

Several players who were facing arbitration have signed, including Ducks forward Nick Bonino and Stars goalie Richard Bachman.

ICE CHIPS

A day after saying his client, Shane Doan, would decide about his future by July 16, agent Terry Bross backtracked on Thursday, telling USA Today that the date has no significance. Doan wants to return to the Phoenix Coyotes, but ownership issues are giving him second thoughts. The Canucks, Kings and Sharks reportedly have submitted offers, with as many as a dozen other teams interested ... The Florida Panthers signed forward Peter Mueller to a one-year, $1.725-million US contract ... What's stranger? That 47-year-old Dominik Hasek wants to mount a comeback in the NHL, or that he apparently is looking for a multi-year contract? Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier told the Buffalo News there will not be a reunion between Hasek and the Sabres ... The Montreal Canadiens signed forward Aaron Palushaj to a one-year, two-way deal ... The NHLPA and NHL will resume negotiations on a collective bargaining agreement on Friday in Toronto.


Videos

Photos