Date for Steve Moore lawsuit set
STEVE SIMMONS, QMI Agency
|Todd Bertuzzi is shown in court Dec. 22, 2004, in this artist's drawing, watching a replay of his on-ice attack on Steve Moore. (Reuters)
TORONTO - Eight years and six months after Todd Bertuzzi ended his career, Steve Moore will finally get his day - or days - in court.
A date has been set for the multi-million dollar civil lawsuits filed by Moore, the former NHL player, whose career ended after Bertuzzi drove his head to the ice in a game between the Vancouver Canucks and the Colorado Avalanche in March, 2004.
In fact, there is actually two court dates issued - depending on whether Bertuzzi is still playing in the National Hockey League or not.
If Bertuzzi is still active as a player, the case will begin on Sept. 24, 2012, prior to the start of the NHL season.
If Bertuzzi is retired, the trial will begin on Oct. 22, 2012.
Moore has said he has suffered from post concussion syndrome and other ailments since the incident occurred eight years ago.
The case, long delayed, and much anticipated, had many layers to it. In addition to Moore suing Bertuzzi, the previous owners of the Vancouver Canucks and former head coach Marc Crawford for $38 million, Bertuzzi himself is suing his former coach, Crawford as well. Both cases will be heard before a six-person jury panel next year.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, was pleased that a court date has finally been established and had told people previously that the length of time between the alleged assault and the trial should actually help his client because so much additional information is available about head trauma in hockey over the years.
Moore was in his first full season when his career came to a halt. His brother, Dominic, is a former Maple Leaf who is entering his seventh NHL season with the Tampa Bay Lightning. The case will be held in the Ontario Superior Court.