Knight to Remember fundraiser cancelled

RYAN PYETTE -- London Free Press

, Last Updated: 9:43 PM ET

Slow ticket sales have forced the London Sports Council to pull the plug on its Knight to Remember fundraising dinner scheduled for Aug. 16 at the John Labatt Centre.

The $100-a-plate and $1,000-a-table evening had been designed to celebrate the 2005 Memorial Cup champion London Knights and serve as a reunion of sorts for the team, which will be inducted into the London sports hall of fame in November.

"It would've been a great party," London Sports Council executive director Cheryl Finn said, "but at the end of the party, the bills have to be paid and we looked at where we were and it was about half of where we needed to be (in ticket sales).

"We tried to put this together in a short period and I know it's August -- it isn't hockey season and it isn't really a good time because a lot of people are gone. In the end, we have a financial responsibility."

The plan was to gather the Knights this month because many of the players won't be available in the fall during the induction ceremony. Proceeds were heading to the sports council and the London Knights booster club, which wouldn't issue tax receipts for donations.

"At the sports council, we run grassroots programs like KidSport, so the money indirectly goes to charitable causes," Finn said. "The Knights will instead be celebrated during their induction in November. (GM) Mark Hunter promised that as many as players as possible would be there."

A good chunk of the Cup champs will be in town that week anyway for the Knights' alumni golf tournament, which has earmarked its proceeds for Ronald McDonald House.

"Ninety per cent of the (2004-05) team will be at the golf tournament," Knights assistant GM Jim McKellar said. "It's too bad about the (Wednesday) dinner but we fully respect the sport council's decision."


Videos

Photos