Moose short list
KEN WIEBE -- Winnipeg Sun
Manitoba Moose general manager Craig Heisinger said the short list is going to be very short. Here are five individuals who could be under consideration for the head coaching position with the Manitoba Moose (in no particular order) after Alain Vigneault was promoted to the Canucks:
- Scott Arniel -- The former Moose captain and assistant coach is the front-runner after being in the mix the past two teams. He has a wealth of experience as a player and is highly respected for his work as an assistant with the Buffalo Sabres the past four seasons.
- Mike Johnston -- The Vancouver Canucks associate coach remains under contract and must be pondering what to do next. After being passed over for head coaching positions, Johnston could either throw his hat in the ring to run his own team in the AHL or depart for Los Angeles to join Marc Crawford.
- Ed Olczyk -- The former Jets forward started last season as the bench boss of Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was replaced by Michel Therrien. Olczyk spent the remainder of the season in the broadcast booth with NBC and OLN but would like to get back behind the bench.
- Dallas Eakins -- The former Moose captain recently completed an excellent season serving as an assistant under Paul Maurice with the Toronto Marlies. Eakins could either join Maurice in the NHL with the Maple Leafs or garner consideration with the Marlies or the Moose.
- Andy Murray -- The Souris product and former head coach of the Los Angeles Kings has ties to the community as an assistant with the Winnipeg Jets and would bring a wealth of knowledge to the position, but he's rumoured to be heading to Switzerland, perhaps to coach his son Brady.