Woods commits to play Chevron event

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 6:02 PM ET

Orlando - Tiger Woods has officially added another event to his post-Ryder Cup schedule.

The world No. 1 said on his website Monday that he will play in the lucrative Chevron World Challenge for the first time in three years.

Woods, who hosts the December tournament, withdrew from last year's event following the car accident outside his house in November. He also missed the tournament in 2008 because of knee surgery.

"It's always fun to come home and play in front of the Southern California fans," said Woods, who has won the event four times. "The Chevron World Challenge is a great event, and there is always a fantastic international field. I'm really looking forward to competing."

The prize purse for the 72-hole stroke-play tournament is $5 million, with a winner's share of $1.2 million. Everyone in the 18-player field will earn at least $140,000, though the tournament does not count as an official PGA Tour event.

Woods failed to qualify for this week's Tour Championship, the final event of the PGA Tour playoffs.

He will next compete as a captain's pick on the U.S. Ryder Cup team beginning Oct. 1, then travel overseas for two events in November: the HSBC Champions in China and the JBWere Masters in Australia, which he won last year for his latest victory.

Jim Furyk captured last year's Chevron World Challenge at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif.


Videos

Photos