Women's Open loses Inkster

JOHN HERBERT -- London Free Press

, Last Updated: 7:21 AM ET

The Canadian Women's Open has lost one of its star players and gallery favourites.

The Royal Canadian Golf Association confirmed yesterday that Juli Inkster, a 30-time winner on the LPGA Tour, has withdrawn from next week's $1.7-million tournament at the London Hunt and Country Club.

"Obviously, we're disappointed," said Doug Alexander, the London Hunt Club member who is co-chairperson of the tournament. "Those things happen with golf tournaments. There's nothing we can do about it."

RCGA spokesperson Anthony Alfred said they have not received an explanation from Inkster or the LPGA Tour.

Inkster is playing this week in the Weetabix British Open and played in the Evian Masters in France last week. She would have been playing her third tournament in three weeks.

A member of the World Golf Hall of Fame, the 46-year-old Inkster was among a group of LPGA stars who played at London Hunt in May. At the time, she said she was excited about playing in the Canadian Women's Open Aug. 10-13.

Inkster was one of the biggest names in the field, along with Se Ri Pak, Lorie Kane, My Hyun Kim, Cristie Kerr and Natalie Gulbis.

In her long career, Inkster's 30 victories include seven major titles. This year, she has money winnings of $975,571 US and over her career has won $10 million US.


Videos

Photos