Dan Marino files concussion suit against NFL

Dan Marino has joined a group of former players who are suing the NFL over concussions. (Reuters)

Dan Marino has joined a group of former players who are suing the NFL over concussions. (Reuters)

The Sports Xchange

, Last Updated: 1:46 AM ET

Former Miami Dolphins quarterback and Hall of Famer Dan Marino is among 15 former players who are suing the NFL over concussions, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.

The players filed the lawsuit in Philadelphia’s U.S. District Court last week, according to the newspaper.

The suit alleges the NFL “actively, aggressively and deliberately conspired with its team members and/or independent contractors who were directed to continuously discount and reject the causal connection between multiple concussions suffered while playing in the NFL, a non-scientific return-to-play policy for players suffering concussions and the chronic long-term effects of those head injuries.”

According to the lawsuit, the league has known about concussion-related injuries since the early 1970s.

The other former players filing suit with Marino are Erik Affholter, Richard Bishop, Bruce Clark, Chris Dugan, Anthony Grant, Mark Green, John Huddleston, Ethan Johnson, LaCurtis Jones, Peter Manning, Moses Moreno, Toddrick McIntosh, Jackie Wallace and Dwight Wheeler.

Marino, who spent his entire 17-year career with the Dolphins, said in a short-form complaint that he “sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices.”

It is not clear if Marino’s lawsuit is a part of the suit originally filed against the NFL that led to a $765 million settlement. Marino’s attorney, Sol Weiss, is one of the lawyers involved in that larger lawsuit, which consolidated several concussion-related lawsuits that were filed against the league.

The $765 million settlement still hasn’t been approved by the court. The settlement was originally agreed to back in August, but U.S. District Judge Anita Brody rejected it in January.

“We continue to work at the direction of the Court and Special Master as they review the settlement agreement and rightfully ensure that all members of the class are protected,” co-lead attorneys Weiss and Chris Seeger said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times regarding the larger case. “We look forward to finalizing this agreement so that former players can soon begin taking advantage of its benefits.”

The NFL’s previously stated position is that the league hasn’t concealed any information related to head or brain injuries that might occur while playing.


Videos

Photos