Dolphins penalize Jones for anti-Sam tweets

Michael Sam and Don Jones. (Getty Images)

Michael Sam and Don Jones. (Getty Images)

The Sports Xchange

, Last Updated: 11:41 PM ET

The team that became infamous last season for allegedly fostering an unforgiving locker room environment reacted swiftly Sunday in the face of controversial comments from a player on social media.

The Miami Dolphins fined safety Don Jones and barred him from organized team activities until he completes educational therapy after he made never comments following Michael Sam's selection and subsequent televised reaction.

Sam, the first openly gay player drafted by an NFL team, was seen Saturday kissing his boyfriend after he was chosen in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams.

Jones tweeted "OMG" and then "Horrible."

In a statement issued Sunday night by the Dolphins, Jones said, "I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media. I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment.


WATCH: SAM REACTS TO BEING PICKED

"I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career.

"I sincerely apologize to (Dolphins owner Steve) Ross, my teammates, coaches, staff and fans for these tweets. I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said in a press release, "We were disappointed to read Don's tweets during the NFL Draft. They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program. We will continue to emphasize and educate our players that these statements will not be tolerated."

Last season, the Dolphins made headlines when offensive lineman Jonathan Martin walked away from the team, alleging that he was the victim of repeated bullying.


Videos

Photos