January 26, 2013
SF DA's office clears 49ers' Crabtree
The San Francisco District Attorney’s office said Friday night that there will be no sexual assault charges filed against San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree after an investigation of charges that were levied against him two weeks ago.
“The San Francisco Police Department-Special Victims Unit completed and submitted a thorough investigation of the allegations against Michael Crabtree,” the DA’s office said in a statement. “Following a review of all the evidence, my office has determined that no charges will be filed against Michael Crabtree at this time.”
The assault was alleged by a one of two women who were with San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree in a hotel room the morning after the team’s playoff victory over the Green Bay Packers two weeks ago.
San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke released a statement saying, “We are pleased to learn of the San Francisco District Attorney’s announcement following a thorough review of the matter. Michael and the team can now put this behind us and move forward.”
No physical evidence had been found and police have yet to determine whether the woman who said she was attacked sought medical treatment, the San Francisco Chronicle reported
Crabtree denied any wrongdoing and cooperated in the investigation, despite being detained from traveling with the team for the NFC Championship Game last Sunday. He had six catches for 57 yards in a 28-24 victory over Atlanta that sent the 49ers to the Super Bowl.