Vick steps into dog poo again

Michael Vick was quoted in GQ magazine as saying he initially didn't want to sign with the Eagles...

Michael Vick was quoted in GQ magazine as saying he initially didn't want to sign with the Eagles to become a third-string quarterback. (KEVIN LAMARQUE/Reuters)

MIKE RUTSEY, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 7:58 PM ET

No matter where Michael Vick goes, controversy seems to follow.

After his sensational season last year where he resurrected his career and seemed to put his dog fighting scandal behind him, you’d think that Vick had completely stepped out of the shadows.

But you’d be wrong.

Instead, Vick stepped back into a pile of dog-poo as in a yet to be published article in GQ magazine he claimed that upon his release from prison he initially wanted to sign up with either Buffalo or Cincinnati but was steered away by the powers that be in the NFL to sign with the Eagles.

“I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth,” Vick said in the article. “I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback (back of Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb) is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.”

The magazine then went on to say that after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other bigwigs he was convinced to sign with Philadelphia.

“And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation,” Vick added in the article.

It didn’t take long Thursday for the league to issue a denial. What else could it do?

“Michael Vick’s decision on where to play to put himself in the best position to succeed was entirely his own,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. “Commissioner Goodell obviously met and spoke to Michael and his representatives as part of his decision on whether to reinstate Michael and on what terms. But the Commissioner would never steer players to or away from particular teams and did not do so in this case.”

Vick also said the magazine story was misleading. Later in the afternoon a denial by Vick was issued in an Eagles release.

“I felt it was necessary to put out a statement today clarifying the article in GQ Magazine,” the statement opened. “I did speak with many people, but the decision to sign in Philadelphia was based on my discussions with my agent, my family and with Coach Reid. And after those discussions, it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams. Again, I want to make it perfectly clear that this was a decision I made and, as I have said numerous times before, I’m very happy with the way it has worked out for me and my family.”

But now you have to wonder. Was Vick speaking the truth to GQ and is he now through the Eagles PR department covering his ass?

Naturally enough this is not sitting well in Buffalo where the Bills are starving for a quarterback of Vick’s ability.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas thinks it all stinks.

“It goes all against what the commissioner has been trying to do,” Thomas said on a local Buffalo radio station. “It’s like another slap in the face to the Buffalo Bills. I’m upset about it. I want to know what the whole idea was about wanting him to go to Philadelphia and not Buffalo or Cincinnati. I think Mr. Wilson (Bills owner) needs to give the commissioner a call and see what happened.

“It was wrong, I think there needs to be an investigation.”

Memo to Thomas — don’t hold your breath.

NOT SUH-WY

Ndamukong Suh is quickly making a name for himself and it has nothing to do with being one of the rising defensive stars in the National Football League.

The Detroit Lions No. 1 pick a year ago who went on earn defensive rookie of the year honours is now raising questions about being one of the “dirtier” players in the league.

No one is denying Suh’s talent and the fact that he is quickly becoming one of the elite players in the league but others are wishing he would tone it down a bit.

In last Friday’s pre-season game against Cincinnati, Suh grabbed Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton and tossed him to the ground, knocking Dalton’s helmet off in the process.

The NFL is on a mission to protect quarterbacks overall as well as jumping all over what they deem to be cheap hits and handed Suh a $20,000 fine, a play on which he was called for roughing the passer.

It is the third fine that Suh has been hit with in his brief pro career and Thursday he said he is not going to take the punishment sitting down and will appeal.

Like all aggressive players, Suh said that he isn’t going to tap it down, not now or in the future. If he tries to, he believes he will not be the player he is today.

“I’m never going to put myself in a situation where I can allow a play to affect my team because I didn’t follow through on my job,” Suh said in his defence. “So I’m not going to stop playing hard. Like I said before, I owe it to my fans, I owe it to my teammates, I owe it to the coaches, and I owe it to the fans, first and foremost. That’s the reason why they watch the game. It’s one of the reasons football is football, ‘cause it’s physical contract, aggression that is made exciting.”

Nevertheless, there are those such as former Colts and Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy who believe he should change his ways, play a little smarter.

“He’s going to have to change some of the things he does,” Dungy said of Suh on the Dan Patrick Show. “I know he’s saying, ‘Hey, they’re targeting me, they’re looking out for me.’ Well, you may be the comparison to Shaquille O’Neal: If you want to stay in the game and not foul out, even though they may be targeting you or looking at you differently, you’ve got to do some things to stay in the game. That’s what he’s going to have to do, and make adjustments.

“You can’t continue to get penalties and you can’t continue to draw fines and possibly get suspended.”

Good luck with that.


Photos