Jets: Lawsuit is completely without merit

 The New York Jets have issued a statement regarding the lawsuit filed against the club and former...

The New York Jets have issued a statement regarding the lawsuit filed against the club and former quarterback Brett Favre by former team massage therapists.(REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine)

Sports Network

, Last Updated: 12:44 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets have issued a statement regarding the lawsuit filed against the club and former quarterback Brett Favre by former team massage therapists.

On Monday, ABC News reported the lawsuit charges that the team's locker room and training camp were "a hot bed of sexual harassment, sexism and inappropriate behavior."

The women, Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole, have also sued another woman who hires massage therapists for the Jets, according to the ABC News report.

Scavo alleges in the suit, among other things, that Favre sent racy text messages propositioning her and another woman. Scavo said that she and O'Toole were never offered work with the Jets again after Scavo's husband called to demand an apology from the quarterback, who played for the club in 2008.

"Unfortunately, the plaintiffs never reported the allegations to the Jets, either during or after the conclusion of their work," said the Jets in a statement. "The case against the Jets is completely without merit, and we look forward to defending the matter in court, where we are confident that the Jets will prevail."

Favre was fined $50,000 by the NFL last month after the league found him uncooperative in its investigation of the Jenn Sterger case. The league was investigating allegations that Favre sent Sterger, a former Jets employee, racy voice mails and graphic pictures of himself.

The NFL doled out its small fine -- seen by many to be a slap on the wrist -- but found in its investigation that Favre had not violated the league's personal conduct policy.

At the time, the league also said it reviewed allegations involving other women working at the Jets' facility in 2008, but could not substantiate any claim about Favre's conduct because people who might have had relevant information did not cooperate.

Favre, the all-time leader on many NFL passing categories, has said he intends to retire for good following his second season with the Minnesota Vikings. He sat out three of the Vikings' final four games.

The 41-year-old quarterback has retired two times already, but returned to play both seasons.


Videos

Photos