Bombers release Reid
By JIM BENDER, QMI Agency
|Fred Reid catches a pass during a game against the Roughriders at Canad Inns Stadium in Winnipeg, Man., Sep. 12, 2010. (QMI Agency)
WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers dealt a low blow to Fred Reid on Monday.
The local CFL club released the import running back who suffered a season-ending ACL injury last year — just a year after he had led the CFL in rushing.
Bombers GM Joe Mack recently told a media throng that Reid was among those veterans expected to return for training camp. If this was one of those deals where Reid — who just signed a contract extension last year — was due a bonus in March, Mack did not say so, even though other teams make no secret of such facts. Instead, the Bombers made the announcement at the end of the day and among all the NHL trade deadline hoopla.
“We’d like to thank Fred for his contributions to the Winnipeg Football Club over the past five years,” Mack said in a release. “As always in this business, these types of decisions are hard ones to make. However, for a variety of reasons, we feel comfortable going in a different direction at this time and are confident this move is in the best interest of the football club. Fred handled this like a true professional and that goes to show what kind of a person he truly is. We wish him well in his future endeavours.”
Reid could not be reached for comment.
The Bombers were obviously impressed by how well Chris Garrett played when he replaced Reid. Garrett reached out to Reid via Twitter (TheChrisGarrett): “Thankful to have learned from Fred, he’s a great pro, even better person. Wishing him the very best n what life has to offer him! GodBless!”
Reid originally signed with Winnipeg in 2007 and quickly took over the starting running back position after Charles Roberts was traded midway through the 2008 season. The five-year veteran rushed for a total of 4,505 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Bombers and was a CFL All-Star in 2010.