WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released slotback Terence Jeffers-Harris for repeated violations of team rules.
The 23-year-old arrived in Winnipeg last season to much fanfare and showed tremendous ability in an injury-shortened season, but 2011 was a disaster.
He put on extra weight in an unsuccessful attempt to get drafted by an NFL team, and he was too heavy when he reported to Bomber training camp. He fumbled the ball twice in the first seven weeks of the CFL season and became a healthy scratch for 10 games before appearing in the regular-season finale in place of an injured Greg Carr.
The Bombers released Jeffers-Harris on Thursday morning because he had become a distraction to the team.
“We released him for a violation of team rules,” head coach Paul LaPolice said after Thursday’s practice. “It’s not the first time it’s happened, so we just decided to go in another direction. At this crucial point in the year, everybody’s focus should be on winning a championship.”
Something must have happened rather quickly, because on Nov. 4 in Calgary, when asked if Jeffers-Harris had been a good pro during his demotion, LaPolice said, “Absolutely.”
The release of Jeffers-Harris leaves the Bombers with only Kurt Adams as a backup import receiver, and Kito Poblah and Jade Etienne as the Canadian reserves. LaPolice is not concerned about depleting his depth in the pass-catching department.
“Nope,” he said. “It’s more important than depth sometimes.”
Meanwhile, LaPolice made it official, saying quarterback Buck Pierce will start Sunday's East Final against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.