Two join Bombers QB carousel

JIM BENDER, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 8:46 PM ET

The injury to Steven Jyles is worse than the Blue Bombers first feared.

The Winnipeg quarterback, who suffered the injury during Saturday’s loss to the Toronto Argonauts, will undergo surgery to repair separated ligaments in his right shoulder, head coach Paul LaPolice said after Tuesday’s practice held at the Winnipeg Indoor Soccer Complex (and will be held there again Wednesday).

Meanwhile, the Bombers were hoping to discover the full extent of the shoulder injury to guard Brendon LaBatte but were still awaiting a report early last evening. He may have suffered a torn bicep.

NEW BLOOD: The Bombers already knew that both Jyles and backup QB Alex Brink (collarbone) would be lost for the season and two new tried and unproven pivots were at practice Tuesday. They were Frank Wilczynski, who was signed Monday, and Justin Goltz, who signed Tuesday. Although both will dress as backups to Joey Elliott when the Bombers play in Edmonton on Saturday, LaPolice has yet to decide which one will be No. 2.

“It’s a very unique situation,” said Wilczynski, 24. “I was coming up here to be on the practice squad. With Steven and Alex going down on the weekend, I’m going to be (dressing) this week so, right now, I’m trying to learn everything.

“My head is kind of spinning because I mean, I’m brand new to everything — like the matches on the field, the 12th player, the motions towards the line. Everything is different than what it is in the United States so, I’m just going to work hard, get into my playbook and get a good comprehension of the playbook and go from there.”

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Rowan University (New Jersey) product had already agreed to come up for a look-see for next year.

“There’s no promises,” Wilczynski said. “My goal is just to come in here these next two weeks and show them that I’m capable of playing up at this level and just let my skills take wherever they take me. If they want to bring me back, I’d be happy to come back to camp. If not, I’ll keep working on other stuff and try to catch on somewhere else.”

Goltz, 22, had talked to the Bombers back in July.

“I got drafted by the UFL back in the States so, I took that opportunity first,” said Goltz, who got cut by Sacramento of the UFL. “That didn’t work out so I came back up here.”

Sacramento’s starting QB is ex-NFLer Daunte Culpepper.

“It’s just good to be playing football,” added Golltz, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound Occidental product. “Every day on the field is a good day and I’m just grateful for the opportunity.”

The Bombers have made no promises to Goltz, either.

“I’ve just got to soak in as much as I can and take advantage of every opportunity I get,” he said.

NO SANTOS: LaPolice admitted that the Bombers discussed the possibility of bringing back QB Ricky Santos, who had been cut after the club signed Brink.

“I know he knows our system but there’s a reason why we went with the guys we went with and we just thought we’d go in another direction,” he said.

TOP PLAYERS: Kevin Glenn, the QB the Bombers gave away for nothing two years ago, was one of three Hamilton players named the top CFL players of the week. Glenn got the nod for offence. Former Bomber DE Steve Baggs, defence and Brandon’s Chris Bauman (Canadian). Toronto’s Bomber-killer Chad Owens was the top special teams player.

jim.bender@sunmedia.ca


Videos

Photos