Bombers release QB Ricky Santos

JIM BENDER, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:56 PM ET

Last year’s regime sent a pair of Canadians to Montreal to acquire fourth-string quarterback Ricky Santos.

This year’s regime decided not to even bring Santos to training camp. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers released the 6-foot-2, 215-pound New Hampshire product Monday.

“We wanted to bring in four guys, especially without any of them being an established starter,” Bombers head coach Paul LaPolice explained. “So, after (Alex) Brink signed, we evaluated further the five guys we had and decided we liked the other four guys the most. We felt that the other four have a better upside — not that Ricky doesn’t have a good upside.”

The other four would be ex-B.C. Lions pivot Buck Pierce, former Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Steven Jyles, Adam DiMichele — who was with the Bombers for part of last season — and Brink, whose rights were acquired from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on draft day.

The move does not mean that Stefan LeFors, who began last season as the starter and is still under contract to the club, will be coming back after all.

“We don’t expect LeFors to be at training camp but stranger things have happened,” said LaPolice, who just returned from a brief holiday in Florida.

The Bombers sent non-import defensive linemen Shawn Mayne and Riall Johnson to Montreal for Santos last September. Santos did not throw a single pass for the Bombers but did rush for 24 yards on seven carries in short-yardage situations.

“We thank Ricky for his contributions as a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers,” Bombers GM Joe Mack said in a release.

LaPolice and his coaches will spend the next 12 days preparing for and scripting workouts for training camp that starts June 6. Rookie camp begins June 2.

jim.bender@sunmedia.ca


Photos