Pierce camp expecting offer from Bombers

PAUL FRIESEN, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 11:31 PM ET

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers were poised to make a contract offer to free agent quarterback Buck Pierce Tuesday night.

The Bombers have been in discussions with the Pierce camp since at least last week, after learning that Stefan LeFors might not report to training camp.

Talks have heated up in recent days, to the point where Pierce’s agent expected Winnipeg to put its money where its mouth is.

“There’s one coming soon,” Brian Cox told the Sun. “By (this morning) we may have an offer on the table. We’ll see if we can meet somewhere in the middle, that’s good for both sides.

“If the offer’s pretty good, we’re going to likely move forward.”

Problem is, the Bombers’ idea of a pretty good offer may differ from Pierce’s.

Cox told the Sun Monday he was looking for a deal that could pay his client close to the $300,000 he earned in B.C. last season, although he acknowledged it would have to be based partly on performance — and Pierce staying healthy.

The 28-year-old, five-year veteran is coming off yet another injury-plagued season that saw him suffer at least one concussion to go along with shoulder and rib injuries.

“We’re looking for an opportunity to be the guy,” Cox said Tuesday.

“If they’re pretty aggressive, we can try to tie something up. We’re not going to string them along. They need an answer, just like we need a place to play. We’re homeless right now.”

The Bombers have been mum on the talks, GM Joe Mack not even making himself available for comment most days.

Pierce, 21-12-1 as a starter in his career, would give the Bombers a proven winner. Their other three quarterbacks have won a combined two games in the CFL.

And now one of them, LeFors, is looking at retirement.

The 28-year-old says he’s all but decided to take a real job, rather than show up for training camp with the tattered remains of the $150,000 contract he signed a year ago — a deal the Bombers tore up and replaced with one worth $90,000, four games into last season.

“The things that happened last year did put a sour taste in my mouth,” LeFors told the Sun from Baton Rouge, LA.. “By no means did I want it to end like that for me. But at the same time I lost a little bit of passion for the game because of what happened, which is unfortunate.

“I feel like I can still play and did want to go and prove myself. But with this opportunity coming up, it might be time.”

LeFors is on the verge of taking a job with the athletic department of his alma mater, the University of Louisville.

“And unless Winnipeg reaches out to me, I don’t think that’s going to change,” he said, citing the need for security for his wife and two children.

“I’m going to look at the whole experience as my whole football career, from college and up. And (2009) is not going to be what I remember the most.”


Videos

Photos