No problem between Brown, Simpson

PAUL FRIESEN, SUN MEDIA

, Last Updated: 10:26 AM ET

Doug Brown and Barrin Simpson are OK.

The Blue Bomber teammates spoke yesterday and didn't come close to blows.

Truth is, they both wanted to make it clear they never did have a confrontation.

"There never was a problem," Simpson told the Sun last night.

Yes, Brown believed it would be better if the veteran middle linebacker, on the outs with the team since asking for a trade, was no longer around the locker-room or practice.

Simpson agreed, saying he's always believed that, but that the team had to initiate it for him to avoid being suspended.

This week, head coach Mike Kelly did. But not without another sideshow erupting.

Reports based on anonymous sources had Brown ready to exchange punches with Simpson after hearing his teammate make critical remarks about the Bombers to newcomers Titus Ryan and Odell Willis.

An adamant Simpson refuted those reports, saying he'd never even met the new players.

Yesterday, Ryan backed him up, saying he's never met Simpson or exchanged even a single word with him.

Brown reiterated, too, that the story was inaccurate.

"Someone's trying to make me look bad," is how Simpson explained it.

Having won his grievance over being placed on the nine-game injury list, Simpson continues to receive treatment on his injured toe, but must stay away from the locker-room and practices.

WILSON BANG-ON: Perhaps surprisingly, head coach Mike Kelly doesn't disagree with Montreal D-lineman Eric Wilson's assessment that you can read Winnipeg's offence like a book.

Wilson made the comments after the Als manhandled the Bomber offence last Sunday.

"There's some things about that I would have to agree with," Kelly said. "I'm not rebutting anybody here. Instead of one thing coming from (a formation), there should be three or four deceptions off of that. We got away from that a little bit, as we've focused in so hard on just trying to get the base to work."

ORGANIZED CONFUSION: Expanding the offensive repertoire promises to be a challenge against Toronto, Saturday, considering the Bombers' decimated receiving corps.

Leading receiver Terrence Edwards is out with a concussion, leaving Brock Ralph, Aaron Hargreaves and Adarius Bowman to lead a group that includes newcomers Dudley Guice, Jr., Otis Amey and Dante Luciani, the latest signing.

"A little bit of organized confusion," is how Ralph described practice. "And guys trying to know what their jobs are."

Luciani, from Oakville, Ont., was Edmonton's fifth-round draft pick last year. More recently, he was on Montreal's practice roster.

Non-import D-lineman Justin Shaw also took part in his first practice, yesterday.


Videos

Photos