Bombers hit new low

KIRK PENTON, SUN MEDIA

, Last Updated: 9:45 AM ET

We're guessing you probably thought the Winnipeg Blue Bomber offence couldn't get any worse after last week's debacle in Hamilton.

Well, you were wrong.

While it may have seemed impossible, the Stefan LeFors-led offence was even worse last night than it was in last week's 25-13 loss to the Tiger-Cats.

Winnipeg managed just one first down and 48 yards of total offence in the first half last night en route to an embarrassing 19-5 loss to the Toronto Argonauts at Canad Inns Stadium.

Backup Bryan Randall didn't do any better in the third quarter, and Richie Williams improved only slightly in the fourth. It didn't matter who was tossing the rock; the result is Winnipeg has gone two full games without scoring an offensive touchdown.

"They all should be concerned about each position that they're in right now," head coach Mike Kelly said of his quarterbacks. "We gotta get better play out of that position."

When asked if it was time for significant changes, Kelly, who didn't fall on the sword last night like he did in Steeltown, didn't say no.

"I've already got some meetings scheduled with people here tonight, so I'll be here working at it, and we'll find a way," he said.

The Bombers took such a huge step back last night that it wouldn't be surprising at all to see a Michael Bishop or a Casey Printers at practice on Monday.

The Argos, who won despite playing without suspended star slotback Arland Bruce III, improved to 2-2.

The Bombers fell into the East Division basement at 1-3, and the future doesn't look good at all for Kelly's crew. Four of its next five games are on the road, including the conclusion of the home-and-home with the Argos a week from today at Rogers Centre.

Their lone home date in that stretch is against the powerhouse Montreal Alouettes.

Unless they can figure out a way to get some first downs, let alone score majors, they're in for a rough ride.

Abysmal. Brutal. Atrocious. Any or all of those words wouldn't begin to describe just how bad Winnipeg's offence was last night.

Their lone first down in the first 30 minutes was on their second play from scrimmage.

Their only points in the first two quarters were courtesy of Alexis Serna's 35-yard field goal, which happened only because Jovon Johnson intercepted Kerry Joseph in Argo territory.

They mustered only 123 yards of offence overall, including a mere 66 through the air.

They had eight first downs overall, but three were courtesy of Toronto penalties.

LeFors, who completed seven of 11 passes for just 30 yards and an interception, was asked after the game if he's ever felt this low in his football career.

"Probably not," he said. "I've been fortunate enough to be a part of some good offences, where a lack of scoring was an issue. This is rough. We can't go any lower than this, I don't think."

LeFors wants to remain the starting quarterback, but he sounded as if he wouldn't be surprised if he weren't come Monday.

"Whatever (Kelly) thinks is best for this team, I'm all for it," LeFors said. "If it means me not being in there, then that's fine, and we'll go from there."

Kelly hinted in his post-game radio interview that Winnipeg is too tough an environment for LeFors to develop, and he kept that theme up in his scrum with the rest of the media.

"We'll block out the outside world this week so you guys can all have some fun," he said, "and we'll just work on trying to get better."

Randall was 1-for-5 for six yards, while Williams was 3-for-10 for 30 yards.

Argos tailback Jamal Robertson, who had 24 carries for 101 yards, scored the game's lone touchdown on a one-yard plunge in the second quarter. Toronto kicker Justin Medlock was 4-for-4 in the field goal department, connecting from 22, 46, 31 and 44 yards.

kirk.penton@sunmedia.ca


Videos

Photos