Jovon Johnson should get his first chance to put his pro football life back in order today.
The import Winnipeg defensive back was expected to return from his Erie, Pa., hometown -- where his 15-year-old brother had been murdered -- yesterday and board a plane to Edmonton with his Blue Bombers teammates this morning.
"It will be good for him to get away from the madness that's surrounding his home right now and getting back to something he loves," said Bombers defensive back Stanford Samuels, his friend who has kept in touch with Johnson. "So, I'm looking forward to getting him back into our fold."
However, Bombers head coach Doug Berry has yet to decide whether Johnson will start against the Eskimos tomorrow, although he will dress.
"We've just got to see where he's at after what he's been through. At worst, he should be an emergency put-in. At the best, he could start, then there's everything in-between."
The Erie Times-News reports that the police were about the arrest a suspect in the slaying yesterday.
"I've been around situations like this in the past where it's always good to have something that you really love, that you can come back and hang your hat on right away," Berry said.
Johnson would replace injured cornerback Willie Amos (hamstring) on the roster.
ON MARC: If Johnson does not start, Marc Beswick is ready to make his first CFL start at cornerback.
"I guess they feel confident with me going out there and I will do my best to try to help this team get a win," said the rookie non-import, who runs a 4.5-40. "I'm sure they're out there thinking about me, a rookie Canadian DB. I pretty much have a bull's-eye on my back so, I'm just going to go out there and take that challenge. I'm ready for that challenge."
ON TARGET: When QB Kevin Glenn first returned to practice after the cheap shot he took from Edmonton LB Agustin Barrenechea, Berry did not believe that he had completely recovered from the sore jaw and concussion-like symptoms he suffered because of the hit.
"He's been good the last couple of days," Berry said. "He's noticeablely on target so, he's good to go."
NOT ME: Bombers defensive co-ordinator Greg Marshall denied sending clips of 22 plays where officials turned a blind eye to holding to the CFL HQ after the last game against Edmonton.
"I'm not saying it didn't happen but it wasn't me who sent them in," Marshall said. "It's not up to me to send those things in."
Those things are usually left up to the GM or head coach.
PRAISEWORTHY: Thanks to modern technology, WR Arjei Franklin was inundated with congratulatory messages after scoring his first CFL touchdown on Friday night in his 39th regular-season game.
"After the game, I had 14 messages on my phone and Facebook had a whole bunch," he said. "Just a lot of people who are fans of the Blue Bombers were congratulating me on Facebook. It was amazing. A lot of people were just happy for me."
Franklin plans to give the football to his dad, Steven.
"If it was left in my house, I might wind up training with it in the off-season or something like that," he said. "My dad will put it in his house. I think he'll like it."