Pivot quietly confident heading into opener

JIM BENDER -- Winnipeg Sun

, Last Updated: 8:33 AM ET

The 'Little Big Glenn' is about to lead his warriors into battle but shrugged off predictions that his Winnipeg Blue Bombers have no chance to win.

"Why would they?" quarterback Kevin Glenn asked as the Bombers prepare to open their season against the Roughriders in Regina this Saturday. "We didn't make the playoffs last year. If everyone was picking us to win the Grey Cup, we'd still be getting interviews like this, like why are they picking you guys to win? It doesn't bother me. We've just got to go out there and take care of our business. We can't worry about what someone else is saying about what is going on within this team."

Winnipeg's starting signal-caller exudes a quiet confidence as the season approaches.

"Here in this locker-room, we feel we can go out and produce right now," he said, referring to the CFL veterans who have been added. "It's not like these guys on the team haven't been there.

"You always get anxious and ready to go when the season starts because that's when it counts. (Saskatchewan's) a good test. They have maybe their whole defence returning and maybe their whole offence so it should be a good test. They made it to the West Final last year and we were successful against them last year but this is a new year. They're going to come out ready to play."

EXTRA IMP: Bomber head coach Jim Daley was still toying with taking either an extra import linebacker (Ryland Wickman) or and extra import offensive lineman (John Feugill) to Saskatchewan as inserting Dan Gyetvai, a Canadian, on the O-line has opened up an American spot elsewhere. Although Wickman tested his groin pull while wearing full pads at yesterday's practice, Willie Fells -- the other middle linebacker -- took most of the turns with the first defence. If Wickman is ready to go, the Bombers may take both Wickman and Fells to Regina, Daley said. The final roster will be set tomorrow ... The Bombers will take three QBs to Regina with Daley indicating that the fourth, Russ Michna, would likely stay at home.

STUNG: Bomber GM Brendan Taman seemed stung by the continued animosity shown by the Orlando Bobo camp. The import O-lineman retired on the eve of training camp when the two sides could not agree to a pay hike. Taman suspended Bobo when he un-retired because he had not reported to camp while still under contract (option year). Bobo's agent, Jason Medlock, then called the Bomber O-line the worst in the league, Taman said.

"I don't know how many games he's seen up here," said Taman, clearly annoyed at the knock. "But he's got an opinion and he's entitled to it. I've dealt with him before, and he has good players and he's a good agent.

"Obviously, this thing fell off the tracks. But if they expect the club to wilt to their demands, it's just not going to happen."

Bobo has demanded a $20,000 raise to his $50,000 salary. He reportedly wants to either be released or traded if he does not get it.


Videos

Photos