Bobo's future up in the air

JIM BENDER -- Winnipeg Sun

, Last Updated: 9:10 AM ET

Orlando Bobo's return to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is still on hold.

The import offensive lineman wants the CFL club to make it worth his while to leave his real estate business to play another year of pro in Canada.

"I talked to his agent on Friday and he didn't know the (dollar figure) in Canadian money to make it work," Bomber GM Brendan Taman said yesterday. "And I haven't heard from him since.

"I expect to hear from (Bobo) by Friday. If not, the appropriate action will be taken."

Bobo is heading into the option year of his contract and has threatened to sit out the season, or retire, if he does not get the raise he needs. If he fails to report, Bobo will be suspended.

Other players heading into their option years who are still negotiating with Taman include quarterbacks Tee Martin and Spergon Wynn, defensive back Ricky Bell and kick returner/receiver Keith Stokes.

"Nobody has told me they're not going to be here on Friday," said Taman, who has been talking to Stokes for some time now. "I wouldn't say those talks have hit a snag but we don't have a deal yet. I'll say this much for him, he said if we can't get a deal done, he'll play out his option (not boycott training camp). And I said, 'Thank you for being a professional.'"

CLASS ACT: Speaking of negotiations, former Bomber QB Khari Jones told the Edmonton Journal that his woes all started after he signed a three-year pact worth more than $1 million last year.

"Once I signed a big contract, they started calling me million-dollar man," he said. "It was downhill from there because the perception had changed."

Winnipeg traded Jones to Calgary. The Stampeders released him after signing QB Henry Burris. Jones then signed with the Eskimos before QB Ricky Ray returned.

"It's tough," he conceded. "I probably have a little reason to be bitter, but it's just not me. I don't want this game to change who I am and what I've accomplished."


Videos

Photos