Bombers cut Carter in favour of youth

JIM BENDER -- Winnipeg Sun

, Last Updated: 12:55 PM ET

The Blue Bomber who had adopted an entire family is now seeking another form of employment.

Import cornerback Eric Carter, who took in his sister's four children after breast cancer took her away, has been released by Winnipeg.

"It was a very difficult decision because of the character of the man and the character of his career," Bomber head coach Jim Daley said yesterday. "He's such a classy person and an outstanding football player.

"But his age (36) factored in and we decided to go with some younger guys. We just felt that this would open the door to the younger guys where they would get more work in camp."

However, Bomber GM Brendan Taman had just told The Sun that the club wanted Carter to return.

"We want him back and all that stuff," Taman said Thursday. "We've just got to get some business worked out."

Taman could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Despite missing six games due to injury last year, Carter led the club with three interceptions and eight knockdowns. In fact, Winnipeg's fall from grace began when Carter first suffered his torn triceps injury.

Carter, who also has four kids of his own, was a four-time CFL and seven-time divisional all-star during his 10 seasons in the league.

Although Carter did not return a message left at his Atlanta, Ga., home, he had previously told The Sun that he could get a job as a teacher and coach high school football once his CFL days ended. He is currently working for a lawn mower service.

RAY STAKES: Don't be surprised if the Bombers look into the availability of QB Ricky Ray, who was just released by the New York Jets. Should he clear NFL waivers Tuesday, three other teams are reportedly interested -- Hamilton, Toronto and Edmonton, his former club. Should Ray return to the Eskimos, that could leave former Bomber Khari Jones out in the cold for the second time this off-season.

MORE SOAP: Just as the soap opera surrounding the ownership of the cash-strapped Ottawa franchise intensifies comes word that CFL commissioner Tom Wright is still on shaky ground. The Montreal Gazette reports that Wright asked for a contract extension at the last CFL board of governors meeting and was refused. Wright's pact expires at the end of this season.


Videos

Photos