Moncton lands CFL regular-season sequel

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 8:38 PM ET

The CFL is headed back to the Maritimes in 2011.

After Moncton successfully hosted the first-ever CFL regular-season game in Atlantic Canada last year, the league has decided to return to New Brunswick again next fall.

"We're thrilled to be bringing another regular season game to the city of Moncton, and our fans and friends from across Atlantic Canada," CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said in a statement released Monday.

Details of the game, including the date and participating teams, were not announced.

The deal for Moncton to host what the league is calling Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic II was made official Monday when city council ratified an agreement with the CFL.

"We are excited and ready to make the sequel even bigger and better than the original," Moncton mayor George LeBlanc said.

The Toronto Argonauts played the Edmonton Eskimos in Moncton last season. The game sold out in 36 hours months before the game was scheduled.

Despite the success of the 2010 game and the decision to return in '11, Cohon wasn't committed to the idea of expanding to the East Coast. But he did indicate more regular-season games could be played in Atlantic Canada in the coming years.

"Time will tell whether we are expanding our footprint in the region, or in a position to consider actual expansion to Atlantic Canada," Cohon said. "What we do know is the first Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic was a huge hit, and working with our civic and corporate partners in the region, we're going to strive to make Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic Two even better."


Videos

Photos