Bruce remains in Argo limbo

TERRY KOSHAN, SUN MEDIA

, Last Updated: 8:57 AM ET

The Argonauts don't expect suspended receiver Arland Bruce to show up at practice this morning.

"I don't think he is going to be there," Argos general manager Adam Rita said last night. "When we come to a decision, we will take it from there. We told him in the beginning he might have to wait."

All Argos players had an off-day yesterday, and Bruce had planned to report for practice and was urged by his agent, Angelo Wright, to do so.

"I just told him to do what he normally does," Wright said. "And that's go to work. We're still not sure what the Argos are planning."

Bruce was suspended last week by Bart Andrus for conduct the head coach felt was not professional. Among other things, Bruce missed special teams meetings and left his playbook on an airplane.

Bruce then publicly slammed Andrus and appeared to take a shot at quarterback Kerry Joseph.

Without Bruce, the Argos managed a 19-5 win against Winnipeg on Friday night thanks mostly to a stellar defensive performance that squashed a bad Winnipeg offence. So bad, in fact, that the Bombers signed former Argos quarterback Michael Bishop to their practice roster, with the idea of starting him Saturday at the Rogers Centre against Toronto.

Bruce has one bit of information that probably helps him sleep at night: He is the Argos' best receiver, and both he and the club know it. Simply releasing him and then watching him join a rival such as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (a likely scenario) might be hard for the club to swallow.

A trade is unlikely, as most teams refuse to bite on a contract that reportedly pays Bruce $190,000 this season.


Videos

Photos