Wright says he's won't quit

PERRY LEFKO -- Toronto Sun

, Last Updated: 8:10 AM ET

He may be whistling in the graveyard of the Ottawa Renegades, but Canadian Football League commissioner Tom Wright is not concerned the fall of the franchise impacts on his job.

"I'm always concerned about doing what's right for the league and doing my job," he said after announcing Ottawa's fate on Sunday. "I think I do (the job) well, I do it with passion and I do it with conviction. That's my only concern."

The embattled fourth-year commissioner, who failed to receive a long-term contract last year from the board, shouldered some of the blame for the Ottawa situation.

Much of the criticism is related to selling the team last May to Bernie Glieberman and his son Lonie, who was appointed team president. The Gliebermans had a checkered past operating CFL clubs in Ottawa and Shreveport.

The Gliebermans, in particular Lonie, made numerous mistakes in their operation of the Renegades that led to the team's collapse.

"Perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, we (in the league) could have had perhaps some more rigour," Wright said. "As the commissioner of the league, I'm ultimately responsible for everything that goes on and the health of all the teams. And in the case that we don't have a healthy franchise now in Ottawa, I take that responsibility.

"But going forward and looking at the strength of the league and where it has come and the fact in our eight markets we have solid, well-financed (and) well-led ownership, I'm very confident the league is in a very solid position to make the right decision for the next ownership group in Ottawa."

Wright has no intention to resign.

"There are a lot of strong initiatives we've got going for 2006 and beyond and it's my full intention to work diligently to deliver on those priorities," he said.


Videos

Photos