Charges stayed against former CFLer

MEGAN GILLIS, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 7:53 PM ET

OTTAWA -- The Crown stayed charges against a former CFL quarterback who'd been accused of assaulting his pregnant ex-girlfriend, paving the way for the Texas fugitive's speedy deportation.

The Crown made the move Monday morning, as Cody Ledbetter, 36, was set to appear before a Superior Court judge to appeal a lower court decision denying him bail.

Prosecutor Lia Bramwell said she'd just had new information from the Canadian Border Service Agency.

"Mr. Ledbetter's removal from Canada is imminent and will take place very shortly," Bramwell said. "Accordingly, the Crown will ask for a stay to be entered on the charges before the court."

Defence lawyer Mark Ertel said his client is "disappointed" that the charges were stayed when he's already spent seven weeks in jail.

" There's been no change in his immigration status since the day he was arrested," Ertel said. "Maybe it's a coincidence it's on the day of his bail hearing."

Ledbetter now needs emergency advice from an immigration lawyer, Ertel said.

Turned himself in

The former Hamilton Tiger-Cat turned himself in to Ottawa police Aug. 4 on charges of assault causing bodily harm and uttering threats. He was later charged with being unlawfully in a dwelling house and uttering threats against a male.

He is wanted in Texas for violating a 10-year probation order he was handed five years ago after admitting to an "improper" relationship with a female student while a football coach at Alvarado High School.

Ledbetter, who fled the U.S. almost a year ago, had been working under the table in Ottawa, his ex-girlfriend, who followed him from Texas, told QMI Agency.


Videos

Photos