Anthony Calvillo, the Montreal Alouettes quarterback who has shaken off a bout with cancer to become the CFL's career passing leader, will be back for a 20th season.
The 40-year-old Californian signed a new two-year contract with the Als Thursday, the team announced. Next year will be his 16th with the Alouettes.
"I'm truly excited to come back and be a part of this great team and organization," Calvillo said in the press release announcing the signing. "With Jim's hard work and coach Trestman at the helm, I believe we will once again have a very competitive team next season and I can't wait to get back on the field with my teammates."
Calvillo shone in 2012 despite his advanced age and a left shoulder injury that bothered him for much of the season. He amassed 5,082 passing yards and threw for 31 touchdowns. It was the seventh time in his illustrious career that he reached the 5,000-yard mark.
"Like I said many times over the last few months, I truly believe Anthony had his best season in 2012," Alouettes coach Marc Trestman said. "He overcame adversity in many ways. He played most of the season with a lingering injury and lost some of his premier targets to injuries, which did not affect his game.
"I am extremely appreciative of what Anthony does for our football team daily on and off the field and am once again grateful for the opportunity to coach him."
Calvillo had surgery on his left shoulder to fix a small labrum tear last week, the team said, but he's expected to be 100% by the time training camp rolls around.