Barnes back at training camp

DEREK VAN DIEST, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:40 AM ET

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Eskimos have apparently changed their mind on receiver Jason Barnes.

The Eskimos re-signed Barnes on Thursday after having cut the San Jose native last week, claiming he had failed a physical.

The claim was disputed by Barnes, whose career was put in jeopardy after rupturing his spleen last October in a game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“Last Saturday an unexpected concern was raised regarding Jason’s ankle,” said Eskimos GM Eric Tillman in a statement. “We were told the ankle problem was something he could likely play through, but that it was a judgment call. It was determined we would release Jason, but discuss the situation further before making a final decision about whether or not Jason would be with our club in 2011.

“According to league rules, a veteran player not released by 3 p.m. MT on Saturday, June 4th, is considered to be the club’s property and subject to rules regarding injured veterans. Faced with legitimate medical concerns, we decided to release Jason prior to that deadline and then seek additional information. When Kavis Reed informed Jason of his release, he understandably became very emotional given the serious injury he had overcome. In hindsight, we could have better explained our position, and Jason certainly wishes he had reacted differently. With the full blessing of our medical staff, Jason is welcomed back to the club and we look forward to having him back on the field.”

Barnes had 35 catches for 608 yards in 12 games last year. His season came to an end when sandwiched by a pair of Ticat defenders as he was attempting to make a catch. Barnes ruptured his spleen, while bruising a kidney and a lung on the play.


Videos

Photos