Esks release Malbrough

GERRY MODDEJONGE, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 9:23 PM ET

EDMONTON - The Edmonton Eskimos will head into training camp without veteran defensive back Anthony Malbrough, who was released Wednesday.

That makes two preseason absences in a row for the eight-year CFLer, who signed a two-year deal with the Eskimos last year before failing to report to his first Eskimos training camp due to what the club called personal reasons.

“We signed a contract last year, he had signed for a year and an option and he chose not to come back and play out his option,” said Eskimos general manager Danny Maciocia. “The reality is he felt he couldn’t play for the amount of money that was stipulated on his option year.

“Having said that, we tried to talk through the option year and see if there was anything that we could do, but the demands were astronomical and we’re governed by a salary cap. You’ve got to make it fit and, obviously, it didn’t fit.”

Malbrough finally joined the team late in the 2009 season, playing in five games and starting once. He made one defensive tackle and a pair of special teams tackles. He also played in the West Division semifinal loss to the Calgary Stampeders.

The Texas Tech product was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in 2000, when he made 13 tackles in his rookie professional season.

The following year, he joined the Barcelona Dragons of NFL Europe where he earned Defensive Player of the Week honours following a game where he made three interceptions, returning a pair for touchdowns.

He then joined the CFL, playing with the Calgary Stampeders, Ottawa Renegades and Winnipeg Blue Bombers before making his brief appearance in Edmonton.

“Anthony was under contract and we fully expected him to attend training camp,” Maciocia said. “He wanted to renegotiate and we were unable to agree on terms. Anthony asked for his release and the club has granted him that”.

Main camp kicks off Sunday at Clarke Park.

gerry.moddejonge@sunmedia.ca


Videos

Photos