UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre set to decide on future

Georges St-Pierre is interviewed by Joe Rogan after his welterweight championship bout against...

Georges St-Pierre is interviewed by Joe Rogan after his welterweight championship bout against Johny Hendricks during UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena. (Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sports)

QMI AGENCY

, Last Updated: 4:30 PM ET

Retirement or an imminent return to the octagon?

UFC champion Georges St. Pierre will reportedly reveal his future plans in MMA later this week in Quebec City and both are distinct possibilities.

According to the Journal de Montreal, St. Pierre will address his plans during a previously scheduled fan event on Friday. The press conference, per se, will be held at a skating rink in a Quebec City mall.

The 32-year-old welterweight champ stunned the UFC when he announced he needed to take a break from fighting to deal with “personal issues” following his controversial split-decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Las Vegas last month.

“I need to make a point,” St. Pierre said after the fight with Hendricks. “I can’t sleep at night. I’m going crazy. I have issues and I need to get out for a while.”

In the intervening weeks, St. Pierre has not shed light on what those issues may be, however, leading to rampant speculation that he may be set to retire.

St. Pierre (25-2) has reeled off 12 straight wins, including nine title defences, and not lost since early 2007. He’s been the most dominant fighter in the UFC stable — and arguably its most popular champ world-wide — during the last six years.

But he took a five-round beating at the hands of Hendricks and probably should have lost the decision. UFC president Dana White said he felt Hendricks won the fight and the two should rematch before St. Pierre ends his career.


Videos

Photos