UFC's Shane del Rosario on life support; death reports false

Shane del Rosario headshot. (UFC.com)

Shane del Rosario headshot. (UFC.com)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 11:13 PM ET

UFC fighter Shane del Rosario is on life support after suffering cardiac arrest brought on by two heart attacks Tuesday morning, according to multiple reports.

Doctors at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach, Calif., are expected to decide Friday morning whether or not to pull the plug on the 30-year-old.

“Unless something crazy happens the machines will be turned off,” Colin Oyama, del Rosario’s coach, told ESPN's Josh Gross.

Oyama added that del Rosario is showing no brain activity and that “for all intents and purposes it is over.”

The heavyweight’s manager, Jason House, told SB Nation it would take “a miracle” for him to recover.

False reports that del Rosario had died circulated Thursday evening after ESPN UK published an article under Gross' name saying the fighter had died. Gross denies penning the story.

Oyama had also posted a statement on Facebook suggesting the fighter had been taken off life support.

“Thank you for all your prayers and wishes,” the statement reads. “Shane fought till the very end and is in a better place now. We love you Shane!”

In addition, UFC boss Dana White acknowledged del Rosario’s apparent death on Twitter.

Del Rosario began his mixed martial arts career in 2006, competing in EliteXC, M-1 Global, and Strikeforce. He signed with UFC in 2012 but failed to win a match.

He was scheduled to fight Guto Inocente at UFC 168 in Las Vegas next month, but had pulled out of the bout due to a rib injury.


Videos

Photos