UFC President Dana White promises to return to Calgary with a better lineup of fighters. (Stuart Dryden/QMI Agency/Files)
CALGARY - Dana White isn't changing his tune.
Ever since a slew of top fighters withdrew from the Calgary-hosted UFC 149 last June, the UFC commissioner has promised to make up for the 2012 debacle.
On Thursday, White reiterated that commitment.
“When we go back to Calgary, I’ve said it a million times, we’re going to deliver when we go back there,” White told reporters.
The Calgary event was a low-point in what proved to be a tough year for MMA’s premiere organization, as fighters including Thiago Alves and Yoshihiro Akiyama pulled out due to injuries.
When the bell finally rang and fighters took to the octagon, there were few fireworks and boos echoed around the Saddledome.
“Last year was the worst year in this company’s history, as far as injuries and things that happened,” White said. “That card was the worst card, not only as far as fights went but as far as fighters falling out of the card. Everybody on the card fell out.”