MONTREAL - Nick Diaz could be on the chopping block if he fails another drug test.
Diaz returns from a one-year suspension when he challenges welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre at UFC 158 in Montreal Saturday. The former Strikeforce 170-pound titleholder tested positive for marijuana metabolites following a unanimous-decision loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143 in early 2012. This marked the second time he has flunked a drug test due to marijuana.
Immediately following the UFC 158 pre-fight press conference Thursday, UFC president Dana White told reporters Diaz would “probably” be handed his walking papers if there is a third strike.
Should Diaz be cut due to yet another failed drug screening, the decision would appear in line with the UFC’s recent firing of Matthew Riddle, who was flagged for marijuana following a lacklustre victory over Che Mills last month. He also tested positive in Calgary last July.
However, White said Riddle’s release was due to more than failed drug tests.
”Matt Riddle did an interview before (the Mills) fight where he said, ’I smoke weed so that I don’t beat my children,’ then he tests positive for it,” White said. “He’s a f---ing moron. That’s why he’s not here. He’s a moron. He’s out there saying it’s because he had a boring fight. He’s had boring fights before. He got cut because he’s a moron.
“He said if he gets asked to come back to the UFC that he wouldn’t come back,” White continued. “So I’ll make it real easy for him — we just won’t ask him.”
During the presser, Diaz said he took extra precautions to ensure he passes his test after UFC 158, simultaneously confirming he still uses the banned substance.
“I think I tested for metabolites or a nanogram or something (at UFC 143), Diaz said. “I’m sorry if I don’t pass the test, but I think it should work out. I’ve passed plenty of them before, unless they just weren’t testing me. I wonder how much they test people around here.”
Diaz accused St. Pierre of being on steroids.
“I’m not on steroids,” St. Pierre said.
“We’ll see who they test for steroids, or what,” Diaz responded.
“I hope they do,” St. Pierre countered.
“You hope they do? What, for me to test positive?” Diaz replied. “Ain’t going to happen.”
The UFC once attempted to pay Mark (The Super Samoan) Hunt to simply go away. Now it appears he’s on the verge of challenging for its heavyweight championship.
Following Thursday’s UFC 158 pre-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White confirmed Hunt could challenge for the belt if he beats Junior (Cigano) dos Santos at UFC 150 in May.
“It’s crazy to say, but if he knocks Junior dos Santos out, how’s this guy not next in line?” White said. “It’d be crazy to think that he couldn’t (challenge).”
The UFC acquired Hunt’s contract when it purchased defunct Japanese promotion PRIDE Fighting Championship in 2007. UFC brass offered to buy out the 2001 K-1 world grand prix winner’s contract, rather than offering him fights. Hunt remained stubborn, holding out for the opportunity to compete inside the octagon.
Continue reading our coverage by selecting the box below ...