September 11, 2012
Jose Aldo, Quinton Jackson out of UFC 153
By QMI Agency
Looks like Frankie Edgar is going to have to wait for his UFC featherweight title shot.
Champion Jose Aldo was forced to pull out of his title fight with Edgar, the main event at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro next month, due to a foot injury.
UFC president Dana White tweeted the news about Aldo on Tuesday, hours after announcing that former light-heavyweight champion Quinton (Rampage) Jackson had also been hurt and wouldn't fight Brazilian Glover Teixeira in Rio.
"Main and co-main in the same day!! Another amazing day at the UFC," White said on his Twitter account. "We have some work to do."
Aldo was involved in an accident while riding his motorcycle in Brazil earlier this month -- he was hit by a car -- but his trainer said his injuries were minor, although that might not have actually been the case. It's the second time this year that Aldo has withdrawn from a fight due to an injury.
There was no word on what kind of injury Jackson suffered or who would replace him or Aldo in the two main events.
Edgar, a former UFC lightweight champion who will be making his debut at featherweight, replaced injured Erik Koch in the Oct. 13 main event. Aldo and Koch were scheduled to meet in Calgary July 21 but an injury forced the bout to be postponed and eventually moved to UFC 153.