|Georges St. Pierre has been given the green light to compete at UFC 154 in Montreal in November. (Marie-Claude Forest/QMI Agency/Files)
Georges St. Pierre is ready to return to the octagon.
With his surgically repaired knee completely healed, St. Pierre announced he has been given the green light to compete at UFC 154 in Montreal Nov. 17, likely against Carlos Condit.
“I’m now medically cleared to compete in professional mixed martial arts events,” St-Pierre tweeted Tuesday. “Rendez-vous le 17 novembre.”
The UFC welterweight champion was set to defend his title against Condit last December, but was forced out of the bout to undergo reconstructive knee surgery.
Though the news marks a big step forward for St. Pierre, it’s hardly unexpected. UFC president Dana White announced earlier this month that the Quebec native was on track to meet Condit in a title unification bout at the Bell Centre.
Condit won the interim belt via unanimous decision over Nick Diaz in February.
St. Pierre’s trainer, Firas Zahabi, said the fight means big business for the UFC.
“I think he’ll break a record when he comes back,” Zahabi told MMA Junkie. “I think GSP fans are going to be interested in watching him make his return and see how the story turns out.
“It’s really difficult coming back from an injury. It’s not something you just do. You’ve got to go through the emotional part, the psychological aspect, and the physical. They’re all equally hard, and I think it’s going to bring his value up because his fights are so scarce.”
St. Pierre’s last outing set a live-attendance record for mixed martial arts in North America, when 55,724 fans witnessed him win a unanimous decision over Jake Shields at UFC 129 in Toronto 16 months ago.