|Thiago Alves (blue shorts) def. Chris Lytle (white shorts) - TKO - 5:00 round 2 during UFC 78 at Predential Center on November 17, 2007 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Calgary’s UFC 149 has lost a pair of Thiagos.
Welterweight Thiago Alves and light-heavyweight Thiago Silva have been pulled from the July 21 card at the Saddledome due to injury.
Alves — who was originally scheduled to fight Yoshihiro Akiyama — was set to face Siyar Bahadurzada. Instead, Chris Clement of London, Ont. will take on Bahadurzada in a 170-lb. tilt.
Of bigger concern is the loss of Silva, who was to face Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua in the co-main event of the evening.
There is no word on a replacement for Silva, though sources say Rua is expected to stay on the card.
The UFC also announced bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes will make his UFC debt at the Calgary event and will take on Winnipeg’s Roland Delorme.
The event — the first UFC show in Alberta — will be headlined by a featherweight title fight between champ Jose Aldo and challenger Erik Koch.
The rest of the Calgary card as it stands:
• Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. TBA
• Cheick Kongo vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
• Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Chris Clements
• Michael Bisping vs. Tim Boetsch
• James Head vs. Claude Patrick
• Roland Delorme vs. Bibiano Fernandes
• Mitch Clarke vs. Anton Kuivanen
• Court McGee vs. Nick Ring
• Bryan Caraway vs. Mitch Gagnon
• Antonio Carvalho vs. George Roop
• Ryan Jimmo vs. Anthony Perosh