May 4, 2012
He's one Hector of a middleweight
By Neil Springer, QMI Agency
Hector Lombard is set to make his UFC debut against Brian Stann.
The two will clash on the main card of UFC on FOX 4 in Los Angeles Aug. 4. The event will also feature a light-heavyweight fight between Lyoto Machida and Ryan Bader.
The first and so far only Bellator middleweight champion, Lombard vacated the belt when he signed with the UFC after his contract expired in November. Bellator held the right to match any offer from a rival promotion, but opted not compete for his services.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told the Sun he expects big things from Lombard in the UFC. “I’ve been a Stann fan for a long time just because of his back story and what he’s done, but I think Hector knocks him out,” Rebney said. “Hector — I’ve said it many times — I think he’s the most dangerous middleweight in the world today. Brian is a very talented fighter, but Hector has too much power and too much explosiveness for almost every middleweight in the world right now.
“I think Hector wins the UFC middleweight title on pay-per-view.”
As for the fate of his own 185-pound division, Rebney said the winner of this season’s tournament final between Maiquel Falcao and Andreas Spang will meet previous tourney winner Alexander Shlemenko for the vacant strap.
“Whether it’s Spang or Maiquel, (they will fight) as soon as Alexander heals from a broken collarbone from getting hit by a drunk driver,” Rebney said.
“He got in an accident in Russia literally the day he got back from his fight (against Ikuhisa Minowa) in India. He broke his collarbone and is rehabbing from that. They think that rehab will happsen pretty quick. Shlemenko is made of steel, so he’s going to heal pretty fast. Then the winner of this middleweight tournament will fight him for the title.”