February 8, 2012
Diaz retired? Don't think so
By JOSE RODRIGUEZ, QMI Agency
Itís a Shocker on Shockstreet! Nick Diaz is retiring.
And if you believe that, I have some lovely oceanfront property for you in Saskatoon.
Diaz is one of those people who lives in the moment. Thereís not much forethought or afterthought.
So, Iím sure that in his frustration at Saturdayís loss to Carlos Condit, he really thought he was done with the sport.
In the sober light of the morning after, I guarantee you he knows heís not.
There are countless arguments as to why he should stay but here are just five reasons as to why Nick Diaz will not be retiring:
5. Diaz likes money. I donít know what triathlons pay 36th place finishers these days but Iím sure it isnít as much as the endorsements a UFC fighter could muster. That said, he is a decent boxer and those guys make good coin, right? See Reason 4.
4. Nick Diaz can box but letís be honest, it will be a long climb to Andre Ward (the WBA and WBC champ in the super-middleweight class in which Diaz has fought) and Ward is undefeated with 25 straight victories. Nick is unbeaten too. His pro record as a boxer is 1-0. Those big paydays are a long ways away.
3. Dana White (who is quick to retire fighters long in the tooth) knows that at 28, Diaz fills venues and sells pay-per-views. He will make life awfully sweet for the California fighter and will market the hell out of the Georges St. Pierre/Diaz fight ó which is guaranteed to happen. Belt or no belt.
2. Heís a weird dude and this wouldnít be the first time heís said or done something incomprehensibly strange.
1. Heís a fighter. A damn good fighter in his prime with a job in the biggest fight club in the world. Enough said.