UFC pulls plug on Montreal event

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 9:18 PM ET

The UFC has pulled the plug on its March 24 card in Montreal.

Officially, scheduling complications are being cited as the reason for cancelling UFC 145 but the reality is, the company couldn't come up with a main event -- or co-main event -- that had enough star quality to make it work. It would have been the fiifth time the UFC held an event at the Bell Centre.

Eight undercard bouts for UFC 145 at the Bell Centre had already been announced, many involving Canadian fighters, and will probably be moved to the company's event in Atlanta the following month.

"We're looking at other dates for Montreal and want to be back there as soon as we possibly can," Tom Wright, the UFC's director of Canadian operations, said on the company's website.

Wright also indicated that the UFC will attempt to stage a fight card in Montreal later this year.

Canadians John Makdessi, Chris Clements, Rory MacDonald, Mark Hominick and Mark Bocek were all scheduled to fight at UFC 145.

But Canada's top MMA draw, UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who has headlined two previous cards in Montreal (and one in Toronto), had knee surgery in December and won't be ready to fight until next fall. Many of the company's champions have fought recently, are injured (Anderson Silva) or are already slotted to fight in the next couple of months.

The UFC also announced Tuesday that Mark Munoz has been pulled from his Jan. 28 fight with Chael Sonnen due to injury. Instead, Sonnen will take on Michael Bisping in the main event for the UFC on Fox 2, with the winner getting a title shot against middleweight champ Silva.

"I am going to knock the teeth out of this snot-nosed Brit who calls (himself) Count," Sonnen said on UFC.com. "I am MMA royalty and America will tune into the Chael Sonnen show next Saturday on FOX."


Photos