Springer's MMA notebook

NEIL SPRINGER, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 6:30 PM ET

After leaving Golden Glory, Alistair Overeem is now training with Xtreme Couture.

During a recent episode of his web series The Reem, the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion admitted he left the Dutch fight camp following a “major breach of trust.”

Though he didn’t go into specifics, Overeem admitted Golden Glory management, namely co-founder Bas Boon, lied to him regarding provisions in his UFC contract.

“Something happened that I found out by myself, which was not told to me, that was kept secret from me,” said Overeem, who headlines UFC 141 against Brock Lesnar. “Because Bas wasn’t there (for final negotiations with the UFC), I hired a lawyer to go through the contract with me, step-by-step. What me and the lawyer found out was there were details in the contract which were to my disadvantage and to the advantage of Golden Glory, and which also were not explained to me by Golden Glory and particularly by Bas.

“This UFC contract is the biggest contract in my life. It’s the biggest moment in my life. The biggest fights are coming now, in the UFC. It’s going to be a very exciting couple of years coming ahead and there cannot be miscommunications. It’s got to be clear.

“For me, they are not good management. They are bad management. They are harmful management.”

DIAZ CONTRITE, SORT OF

Though Nick Diaz was left red-faced over his disrespectful callout of Georges St. Pierre at UFC 137 last month, he doesn’t regret a thing.

After all, it single-handedly caused him to leapfrog over Carlos Condit for a welterweight title shot.

“Well, you know, it’s been embarrassing,” Diaz said on Inside MMA this week. “You don’t always come off the way you want to or look the way you want to.

“It seemed to have worked. I’m getting the fights I want. So, yeah, I can’t complain at this point.”

Oddly enough, Diaz admitted if there is anyone who deserves an ass-kicking, it’s him.

“I’m the one who’s in this division mouthing off and talking the most. So if there’s anyone who’s (due) for a good whopping, I’m probably that guy. And who better to (dish it out) than the UFC champion? I’m ready to get this show on the road.”

Your move, Georges.

CLAUDE PATRICK HOPES TO EXTEND STREAK

An undisclosed injury has forced Rory MacDonald out of his bout with tough veteran Brian Ebersole at UFC 140 in Toronto, Dec. 10.

Mississauga fighter Claude Patrick has signed on as a replacement for the B.C. prospect.

Currently riding a 13-fight win streak, Patrick’s last outing saw him snag a unanimous decision over Daniel Roberts at UFC 129 in April.

The winner of his last nine bouts, Ebersole has earned impressive victories over Chris Lytle and Dennis Hallman since joining the UFC earlier this year.

Ebersole is the first — and hopefully last — fighter to be awarded the coveted “get those horrifying shorts off TV as soon as possible” bonus by UFC president Dana White after earning a first-round TKO victory over a Speedo-wearing Hallman at UFC 133 in August.

BELLATOR VISITS RAMA SATURDAY

Bellator Fighting Championships returns to Canadian soil Saturday.

Casino Rama will host Bellator 57, which features the conclusion to this season’s welterweight and middleweight tournaments.

UFC veteran Ben Saunders takes on Douglas Lima for a shot at 170-pound champion Ben Askren, while Alexander Shlemenko and Vitor Vianna battle for the right to challenge 185-pound titleholder Hector Lombard.

Rounding out the main card is a light-heavyweight scrap between John Hawk and Roger Hollett, and Alexandre Bezerra meets Doug Evans in a battle of featherweights.

Also, London, Ont. lightweight Chris Horodecki competes against Mike Corey in one of the evening’s preliminary bouts. This marks Horodecki’s first fight since the death of his trainer, Shawn Tompkins.

Tompkins died of a heart attack in his sleep on Aug. 14 in Hamilton.


Videos

Photos