Marquardt contrite after flunking drug test

DAVE HILSON, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 6:41 PM ET

Nate Marquardt has finally come clean as to why he was dropped from this past Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 card and fired from the promotion.

Making his first public statement since the incident, Marquardt appeared on The MMA Hour to address the cause of his termination and, as many had suspected, he admitted hormone replacement therapy (HRT) was at the root of his ejection.

He detailed the circumstances regarding his high levels of testosterone that got him booted from his scheduled fight against Rick Story and took full responsibility. Though he did claim the UFC had at least tacitly okayed the therapy for three of his previous fights.

"The week of the fight I requested several tests," said Marquardt, who cried at two different points during the interview. "Each test showed that the levels were going down. I took a test on weigh-in day, and it was still above the range where the athletic commission was going to let me fight. There are things I messed up, I have to take responsibility."

UFC prez Dana White said he was "disgusted" by the incident and he announced the fighter's dismissal via video blog on his Twitter account. "I'm sure you've heard that Nate Marquardt is out. It's true. He failed his medicals. Not only is he out of this fight and out of the main event on Versus, he will no longer be with the UFC. He won't fight in the UFC ever again."

THE TWO JAKES

He may not have been born on the bayou, but Jake Shields' first fight since being thoroughly outclassed by world welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre in Toronto at UFC 129 will take place there, against another guy named Jake.

Officials announced on Tuesday that a three-round fight between Shields, a California native, and Jake Ellenberger, from Nebraska, will headline UFC Fight Night 25: Battle on the Bayou on Sept. 17 in New Orleans. Earlier this month, UFC president Dana White announced all main events would be five rounds, including non-title fights, so it's not quite clear why the Shields-Ellenberger contest will only be three rounds.

Shields (26-5-1, 1-1 UFC) will be trying to recover from his first loss in six and a half years, while Ellenberger, (25-5, 4-1 UFC) who also fought on the Rogers Centre card, knocking out Sean Pierson in the first round, will be looking to collect his fifth straight victory.

Also confirmed for the UFC's first trip back to New Orleans in a decade is local boy Alan Belcher who will be taking on Canadian Jason MacDonald in a middleweight bout. MacDonald submitted Ryan Jensen via first-round triangle choke at UFC 129.

Fight Night 25's main card will air live on Spike TV.

FIGHTING WORDS

Man, wait until these guys actually step into the octagon -- things could get ugly.

UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock and IBA heavyweight champion James Toney got out of control when Toney took offence to some comments Shamrock made at what was supposed to be a harmless photo op for their Sept. 23 bout in El Paso, Tex.

"We're going to give you (a beating for) 30 seconds on the ground, then I'm going to let you back up, then I'm going to beat on you a little bit more, then I'm going to give you a little more time on the ground. I'm going to grab you and beat the hell out of you "¶ I'm going to bloody you up," Shamrock told Toney.

At that point Toney went after the grinning Shamrock and the two had to be separated by their respective entourages. Toney was eventually escorted from the International Fight Center in Van Nuys, Calif.

The fight is technically a mixed martial arts bout, but it won't fall under the widely accepted "unified rules". The most notable change is that following a takedown, the fight will be stood up after 30 seconds. The fight will also consist of eight, three-minute rounds.

The 42-year-old Toney, a multi-divisional boxing champ with a 73-6-3 record, has only one MMA fight under his belt, a quick loss to Randy Couture, while the 47-year-old Shamrock is one of the pioneers of the sport.

SANTOS MYSTERY

Where have all the women gone? That's what fans of female fighters might be asking themselves after it was reported Strikeforce combatant Cris (Cyborg) Santos is officially a free agent.

According to reports, parent company Zuffa's exclusive negotiating rights with the 10-1 Brazilian have expired after the company failed to come to terms with the women's middleweight champ.

All this means that Strikeforce was either unwilling to pay Santos what she felt she deserved, or Zuffa has decided to stop promoting women's mixed martial arts under the Strikeforce banner.

Either way, it's another punch to the gut of the women's division which has been without pinup Gina Carano since Santos KO'd her a couple of years ago.

Santos, however, might not be out of action for long as it has also been reported she is in serious discussions with another promotion and she could have a new contract in place as early as this weekend.


Videos

Photos